Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Press Release: More Than 53,000 Runners Race Through The City At The Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore



SINGAPORE, 7 DECEMBER 2014 — More than 53,000 runners took part in this morning’s Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014 (SCMS) as runners made their way towards the Padang from various starting points across the island. Flagging off the Marathon category this year was Haile Gebrselassie, widely regarded as one of the greatest runners on earth. The Ethiopian legend also took part in the 10km race, which marked his debut run in Southeast-Asia.



Finishing his race in third with a time of 00:30:00, Gebrselassie said, “The crowd in Singapore has been fantastic and I treated the race as a celebration. It’s a wonderful atmosphere and everything was great, except the weather. The humidity is not something I expected but the guys from Kenya really pushed me to go faster.”



Gebrselassie’s female compatriot, Waganesh Amare, broke the hold the Kenyans have had on the Marathon category with her winning performance of 02:46:54. She trumped Kenyans Elizabeth Chemweno (02:47:50) and Pauline Wangui (02:48:59).

“The weather was really warm but I’m very happy to win the race here, especially because it’s been won by Kenyans so many times. I really didn’t expect to win, but in spite of my fatigue at the 39km mark, I felt if I pushed a little, I could really win the race, so I persevered.”



In the male category, barber turned elite runner, Kenneth Mungara, reclaimed the crown he won in 2010 finishing the race with a time of 02:16:42. Expressing his delight in winning the race, Mungara said, “The race today was very nice, the weather was good and I enjoyed it. I was alone and didn’t have someone to push me to go even faster. I aim to be back again and to set a new course record.” Kenyans David Kiptui Tarus (02:19:07) Charles Kanyao (02:19:18) made up the rest of the podium.



In the local categories, Singapore’s favourite Mok Ying Ren defended his title with the time of 02:53:42, while Rachel See claimed the local Women’s Open category with a time of 03:17:13.



“I am very happy, this is my longest run since my injury. This is a good comeback run and a good sign as I can move on to my next phase of training and increase the intensity. I felt that the run was really enjoyable as I ran the first 30km with a group of friends. Moving on, I want to qualify for the next SEA Games and focus on the training once I finish NS in April. For the 2016 Olympics, I am exploring to work with coaches overseas,” commented Mok.



Results of Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

Elite Men’s Open
1. Kenneth MUNGARA (Kenya) 02:16:42
2. David KIPTUI TARUS (Kenya) 02:19:07
3. Charles KANYAO (Kenya) 02:19:18

Elite Women’s Open
1. Waganesh AMARE (Ethiopia) 02:46:54
2. Elizabeth CHEMWENO (Kenya) 02:47:50
3. Pauline WANGUI (Kenya) 02:48:59

Local Men’s Open
1. Ying Ren MOK (Singapore) 02:53:42
2. Suan Boon SOON (Singapore) 02:59:50
3. Ramesh PALANIANDY (Singapore) 03:02:44

Local Women’s Open
1. Rachel SEE (Singapore) 03:17:13
2. Jie Shi NEO (Singapore) 03:23:53
3. Sing Yi LIM (Singapore) 03:27:42



For full results, please refer to: www.marathonsingapore.com

Photos courtesy of Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore.

No comments: