Sunday, October 04, 2009

Walk and Eat With Passion @ Jonker Street

Part 2 of my Melaka trip a few weeks ago.

Jonker Walk is the MUST VISIT place for me whenever I have the chance to set foot in Melaka.

The narrow road flanked by old shophouses comes alive during the weekend (Friday, 6-10pm. Sat/Sun, 11am-10pm) with hawkers, traders and street performances. Lots of things to see and buy - souvenirs, t-shirts, toys, etc.

For me, it's a place to savour street food of Melaka, especially of Nyonya origin.

Yummy Chicken Rendang Noodles.

Nyonya Laksa....Extremely rich and creamy. Hahah! Be careful, you might get a coconut milk overdose!

During the day time, Jonker Street is a place for antique lovers to hunt for treasures from the past.

My friend bought this for RM2. An EP of Hakka traditional songs!

Hoe Kee - famous for its Chicken Rice Balls. At Jonker Street.

Tender juicy steamed chicken in light soy sauce.

The must-try yummilicious Chicken Rice Balls.

I think this couple's putu piring is featured in The Star Street Food Guide. I left my copy in the office!

Simple yet delicious putu piring - Steamed rice cake filled with gula melaka (palm sugar) and eaten with shredded coconut.

Not the usual fried carrot/ radish cake. This fler also sells fried pumpkin cake! I love it! 50sen per piece. Very nice!

Finally, the video of Jonker Street. I didn't post the pictures of the famous pineapple tarts above. They were finished when I realised that I have yet to take the pic. You can see them in the video freshly oven baked at the shops along Jonker Street. :)

If you have not ride in a beca or trishaw before, you can find them at the entrance of Jonker Street (near Stadthuys). The trishaws here are nicely lits with bling bling lights and some even come with loud boombox!

ENJOY!

No comments: