Thursday, October 01, 2009

Timex Run Accepting Donations For Philippines Typhoon Victims

I received this email from a contact from the Philippines. Rio is a runner, coach and roadrace director. Please read.

Dearest Friends,

Marikina City has been my home for most of my life and it fills me with great sadness to witness and experience first-hand, the tragic events that occurred over the past weekend. In one sweep, many lost their homes and the lives they’ve always known. Some have to deal with the painful loss of friends and loved ones in the midst of the tragedy that struck our beloved city.

Now, more than ever, I’ve realized how fleeting and fragile life can be. And despite both of my cars needing major repairs and the first floor of our house looking like a huge mess due to the flood waters that ravaged our subdivision, I am still better off than most of people in our neighborhood.

As I stood on top of a rock outside our house surrounded by a raging stream of flood water, seeing the far worse conditions experienced by my neighbors, I remember telling myself that it doesn’t matter anymore if Typhoon Ondoy takes away my Speed Racer and Bubble Bee and suck them completely under water. Losing my precious cars is nothing compared to the suffering that other people went through, some of which I painfully saw with my own eyes.

It was truly heart-breaking and I can’t help but be thankful that I am still one of the luckier ones.

In line with the surge of relief operations from kind-hearted and selfless souls all over the Metro, the 2009 Timex Run will be accepting donations in cash and in kind, to aid our displaced brothers and sisters in Marikina City during their time of need.

To start the ball rolling, the 2009 Timex Run has decided to allot a portion of the event’s proceeds to the affected Marikina residents. I am also donating 40 sacks of rice and about 700 singlets to several barangays within Marikina City, but more help is needed to reach as many victims as possible.

Items such as ready-to-eat food, rice, noodles, potable water, clothes, blankets, beddings, towels, and other basic necessities will go a long way to help our fellow Filipinos get back on their feet.

Volunteers are also more than welcome to offer their time and energy to help pack relief goods and distribute them to the different barangay halls and evacuation centers in Marikina.

All 2009 Timex Run registration sites will be accepting your generous donations.

I am also opening my home at 46 D. Macapagal St. Vista Valley Subdivision, Sto. Nino, Marikina City, if you wish to send them in bulk. All participants, including friends and family, are invited to the distribution of relief goods on November 15, 2009, 1:00pm, at the different barangay halls and evacuation centers in the hardest hit areas in Marikina. These include Industrial Valley, Tumana, Concepcion, Calumpang, Nangka, Sto. Nino, Sta. Elena, Tanong & San Roque.

Thank you so much for your willingness to help us reach out to the countless victims plagued by Typhoon Ondoy. May God bless your homes and keep you safe. More power to the running community!

Sincerely,

Rio De La Cruz

Timex Ambassador/ Race Director

2009 Timex Run

It is heartwarming to see that the running community in Philippines to do something to relieve some fo the burdens faced by the thyphoon victims.

Please contact rio(at)runrio.com should you need more info or find out how you can help.

No comments: