Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Shape/ Men's Health Putrajaya Night Run 2009

What? Shape/ Men's Health Night Run 2009

Where? Putrajaya, Malaysia

When? 26 July 2009

How far? 11.5km

Who? Organized by Shape & Men's Health Magazine

The Shape/ Men's Health Run returned after an overwhelming success when it made its debut in the Malaysian running calendar last year. However, instead of Lake Garden, the venue had been changed to a more spacious area in Putrajaya.

And instead of a morning run, they made it a Saturday night run! Since I love the night sceneries at Putrajaya, I had no qualm in registering for the run once the registration was made available.

Amy, Tan and I arrived at the start point around 6:30pm. The area was already buzzing with runners and the various sponsors. I hung around the stage area checking out the rehearsal from the Charm Allstars Cheer Squad and also games conducted by the two bubbly announcers from MixFm. Sham and Jay.

The Charm Allstars was at last year's run too. From their jaw-dropping midair flips and human pyramids, they are indeed a fun bunch to watch.

The Bidor Kaki Runners - They came all the way from Bidor for this run. :)

I also check out some of the sponsors booth. This one is Lab Series. I remember they gave free facials last year. This year they had additional something for the abs...

Me? I didn't try some. No need fancy tummy cream. I gave up on my gut long time ago. LOL! Eat and prosper.

Spotted - TV Personality, Azura Zainal with her Nike LunarGlide+ shoes.

We were hurdled into the waiting pen around 7:30pm. The evening was hot and humid.

I had to sneak out of the waiting pen to record the performance of the Charm Allstars Cheerleading Squad. The stage was too far from the start point. So, for those who were couped up in the waiting pen that evening, do click the video above to check out their awesome performance. :)

CLICK PLAY & ENJOY!

Note: I had to replaced the soundtrack because the original sound recording was really bad. Bad bad sound system!

We were set off about 8pm. (11.5km categories).

I lugged along my brick heavy Fuji camera. I left my Olympus at home because no way it can perform satisfactory at night.

I "bumped" into many running friends/ bloggers like Julie, ZulAzlan and Haza.

As I was running on the Seri Gemilang bridge, a bunch of ladies in green caught my attention.

Meet the bride, Sabrina, the one with the veil (second from right). According to her, she just got married the night before. She bridemaids ran beside her.

When asked where was her groom, she said he was out partying!

Damn! Why would any man in his right mind let her pretty wife run without him at night? He should be out running too. You know, keep up the stamina for ehem ehem!. LOL! Kidding!

Anyway, congratulations Sabrina! Hope to see you next year running with a pram! (Insert cheeky wink here!)

I enjoyed the run tremendously. Water stations were adequate. Direction signages were good even though I did see two 7.7km runners who had to make a U-turn after they missed the turning where 11.5km & 7.7km runners spilt. Too engrossed or too blind to see?

Distance markers only available after km 5.

Traffic control was good even though they didn't close the whole route to traffic.

I love the 11.5km route because we get to cross the three most beautiful bridges in the country - The Seri Gemilang Bridge, The Seri Saujana Bridge and The Seri Wawasan Bridge on foot. Simply breathtaking!

My right arm was sore after the run because of the heavy camera! Imagine yourself carrying a brick for the whole 11.5km run. Thank God the images were good enough for YouTube and I hope to entice new runners to this run next year! Heheh!

Meet the Orange fler - one man cheer squad! LOL! I wonder if his hand ache after slapping hi-five 4,000 runners' hands.

I have seen runners who do the "bite the medal" pose for the camera after their run. I got my friends to help me with the pose, with a little twist. Heheh!

BTW, the cover girl is Andrea Fonseka, the super hot chick Miss Malaysia - Universe 2004.

The registration fee had increased by 50%, from RM20 to RM30! But the goodies are quite similar. What we get in this year's goodies bag are...

• A Men’s Health bag

• A Runner’s Vest from Reebok worth RM79

• 2 pouches of Nature Valley® Crunchy Granola Bars

• 1901 Soakin’ Ted (great size)

• A Fitness Concept Microfibre Towel worth RM26

• Clear Men 85ml Shampoo

• Clear Anti-Dandruff 85ml Shampoo

• Shokubutsu Body Shower Foam Active Sports 180ml

• Fresh & White Fresh Blast Toothpaste 30g

• Bion 3 Probiotic Multivitamins Minerals worth RM45

• Naturale Choice Veggie Snack

• Kenko 30mins Fish Spa Voucher worth RM38

• 7-UP Revive 325ml

• Bleu Mineral Water 600ml

• TruDtox Tea Bag

• Cartilamine Glucosamine Sulphate Tablets 10’s

• Clark Hatch 1-Week Free Trial Pass

• Care Condom 3-piece pack

Interesting found in the goodies bag - Thick Top Condoms :)

I wonder if this was what the Shape Magazine Editor meant by saying "HAVE A SAFE NIGHT" in her speech. (See video below).

Click Play and ENJOY!

Look out for the runaway bride and her bridemaids in matching green running gear. :)

Note: Soundtrack - Halo (Sam998899's Radio Remix). I have been halo-crazy lately! :)

Read last year's race report below.

SHAPE/ MEN'S HEALTH RUN 2008

p/s Where were you Jojo Struys? We missed you at the run! :)

No comments: