Monday, July 18, 2005

Who Let The Dogs Out?

Rufus Posted by Picasa I didn’t go to Melaka International Marathon. My bones needed a break after 2 half marathons this month. Moreover, the medal numbers for the Men Open had shrunk from 300 last year to 100 had killed my enthusiasm for going to Melaka. So, on Sunday, I did my own leisurely run to Subang Lake early in the morning. I ran from my apartment from Sunway to Subang Lake, made two rounds around the lake and decided to take yellow-blue bus home. Haha…my very own sweeper bus! I was too lazy to run back. On the afternoon, I went to see one of my best friends, Marianne at SPCA (an animal shelter). She has been a volunteer at SPCA for more than 9 years now. She was very excited to introduce her new “boo” to me. His name is Rufus. A 5-year-old Rottweiler. Rufus looked intimidating at first. Big teeth. Big eyes. Big tongue. Big body! He could have weighed more than 40kg. All the descriptions fit the killing machine reputation that Rottweiler breed has. But as usual, looks can be deceiving. Rufus turned out to be a playful dog. Marianne was slobbered by gobs and gobs of saliva when Rufus tried to lick her. Yucks! Rufus seemed relax around me. He didn’t charge at me with his killer teeth. No snarling. No hostility. So, I got closer to rub his tummy while Marianne trimmed his nails. He seemed to enjoy it. Yes, the dog does pedicure. He must be a metrosexual rottweiler. Haha! We took Rufus out for a walk after getting his nail done. That was his first time to have a walk outside since the day the owner brought him to the shelter. The owner gave him up, as they no longer can cope with him. Being a big and strong breed, Rufus could easily dragged petit Marianne around like a rag doll. So, Marianne has never brought Rufus outside alone. I guess that was Rufus’ lucky day. We went out of SPCA compound to the housing area nearby. Rufus seemed to enjoy the walk, dragging me along. I had to hold on very tightly to the leash, fearing he might just dash into the traffic. Secretly, I prayed that no cats would pass our ways, as the result could be nasty. Rufus sniffed and marked his territorial with his piss. From behind, I can see his “deflated” balls. You see, Rufus was castrated. Yikes!

No comments: