Thursday, May 13, 2004

Bird Shit, Dirty Sponges and Chicken Rice Balls

Wake up call @ 4:30am. Still groggy. Amelia enthusiastically prepared fried noodles (specially bought from Tengkera Night Market the night before) and boiled potatoes for breakfast.

Had breakfast with the golden girls. They were as chirpy as mynahs in the morning. Around 5:20am we went out to the roadside (Jalan Tengkera) to wait for the marathoners to pass by. Cheered for the marathoners. Why was I in such a cheerful mood in the morning? Aunties’ enthusiasm was indeed infectious. Suddenly, it poured. We ran helter skelter back to the house.

The starting point was at Tun Fatimah Stadium. The air was fresh after a splash of morning rain. The half-marathon started of sharp at 7:30am. The route led us to the bridge across Melaka River.

Was quite a challenge to run up the bridge. I felt something warm splattered on my left hand when I was passing an overhead signage. It was white and runny. Slightly warm. Yucks! Bird shit! I guess I was lucky as this happen a few meter from the refreshment station – got some water to wash the shit off.

The Melaka River as viewed from the Bridge

The highlight of the run was Jonker Street where all the old distinctive straits buildings were. Very Chinese feel. Auspicious red lanterns. Celestial Dragons. I slowed down my pace to enjoy the charm of the buildings. Passed by some shops selling antique, knick-knack, clothes, kopi tiam/café, temples here. I was busy clicking away. I acted more like a tourist than a runner.

Road leading to Jonker Street. Notice there is a church back there.

Jonker Walk looks deserted in the morning

Monkey God on the lookout for Marathon runners

Raise the red lanterns

Notice the Stadhuys (Red Building) in the background

The Orang Utan Shop - eye-catching. One of the many souvenir shops not to be missed when you are in Melaka.

More Chinese temple

Jonker Walk

An Chetty Indian Temple

A Mosque. Notice the Chinese influence on the facade.

An old Chinese temple

I spotted this cute antique buggy along the route. The owner must be a very patriotic man.

The remaining of the run was not interesting. Quite boring actually. We ran through the city, passed by heavy traffics and some residential area. The sun was not forgiving. I began to walk after passing by the 15km mark. Felt my calves’ muscles pulling. Had to walk.

Drinking water - See the label - it's specially bottled for the Melaka Municiple.

The last couple of sponging stations were appalling. The sponges were dipped into muddy water. I suspect they recycled the used sponges and placed them back into the bin. Yucks!

My timing was not my best; nonetheless I qualified for a medal (Top 200). Should be better I had not climb Mount Kinabalu on 3-4 May. Overall, it was a memorable run. No luck on the lucky draw. All 5 mountain bikes for the draw were swept away by the school children. Next time, I have to remember to bring my compass along and sit face my auspicious direction. Hope my luck will change for better.

Went for the famous Chicken Rice Balls at Jonker Street for lunch before heading back to Kuala Lumpur. Hmm…Tasted just like chicken rice anywhere else in KL. But it was heavenly to cure the tummy of hunger after the Melaka Historic City Marathon 2004.

No comments: